Sunday, 4 August 2013

NWG 2013 - Embracing the Hatred

I've been thinking about tournaments a lot recently. I've grown very disillusioned with tournament 40K since 6th edition came out. Don't know if it's just me, but it seems many of the less competitive players who used to attend tournaments just for a laugh and a few fun games have fallen away, and the proportion of spammy netlists (flyers particularly) is on the rise. As someone who doesn't paint quickly enough or have enough spare cash to drop several hundred on a new army every 6 months, I've been unable to keep a competitive army going and as a result, when I go to an event for 2/3 games I may as well just shake my opponent's hand before the game starts. As much as I like my Flesh Tearers, they just can't compete with the common tournament lists out there.



So, NWG is coming up at the end of September and I've already arranged time off work to go. I had been painting Chaos Marines (which I do like and will continue to work on), but they won't be competitive at all. I just don't feel enthusiastic enough for it right now. There are alternatives, I could play Warmachine, which I've been enjoying a lot lately, but it's only on the Saturday. Which brings me to the other choice : Warhammer Fantasy.

The thing about Fantasy this year is - no comp. At all. Not even a ban on special characters. One thing you may or may not know - I really hate special characters with a passion. Have you ever played a game which would have been improved with the addition of special characters? I sure as hell haven't, and any time I've played against one at a tournament it has been a less than pleasant experience. Now, I don't always refuse to play them, if someone I know well wants to play one and isn't just using the character because he's bent, OK. But normally I wouldn't play them, and I never use them myself. I prefer to have my own characters to lead my army.

As for no comp, there's been a recent movement towards this in Irish tournaments in the last couple of years. I think this is down to certain reasons, the most prominent being that we had used comp in every event for a few years and people have largely forgotten just how stupid uncomped Warhammer actually is. In fact, a proportion of players have never experienced proper, hardcore no comp Warhammer at all.

So, you might ask me, Lenny, you hate special characters and dislike no comp, why in the hell would you want to attend an uncomped tournament? In truth, I'm not sure. Maybe because I want to test myself. Maybe I just want a change. Maybe, I think a no comp tournament is a good idea to remind people why we have comp in the first place.

My first love, Dwarfs, are always the first army I look at for an event. Something along the lines of this.

Runelord (465) - Anvil of Doom. 3 Spelleater Runes (or Master Rune of Balance, 2 Spelleater Runes).
Thane (115) - Battle Standard Bearer. Master Rune of Gromril.
Master Engineer (70)
19 Quarrellers (257) - Great Weapons, Standard Bearer.
18 Quarrellers (244) - Great Weapons, Standard Bearer.
Cannon (145) - Engineer. Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning.
Cannon (140) - Engineer. Rune of Forging.
Grudge Thrower (170) - Engineer. Rune of Accuracy, 2 Runes of Penetrating.
Grudge Thrower (150) - Engineer. Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Burning.
Organ Gun (120)
Organ Gun (120)

The problem with that list is that I'd have to paint most of it. I don't want to do that, as it's not a list I'd want to use in a friendly game, ever. So most of it would probably get one use and then never be seen again.

So, I need something that won't need a lot of work. Fortunately, I have just the thing. Dark Elves. I haven't used them in a long time, but I have most of the bent parts already painted. They will need a restoration job, repairs, touch ups, and I intend to re-base the lot of them as well. I've wanted to do this anyway, so here's the excuse to do it. I have eight weeks, which should be more than enough time to restore the army and build the display board required for full painting marks.

The list is going to be nasty. I'm going with the intention of doing well, and with no comp, there will be other armies there just as bad and probably worse. I do feel sorry for any casual players who run into it, but it's one of the great questions about tournament play - Do I bring a nasty list, and risk hammering some unfortunate casual player, or do I bring a fun list, and risk getting constantly slaughtered?

Anyhow, list draft one. I'll try to get some practice games in with it and may make some changes.

Dreadlord (297) - Dark Pegasus. Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak. Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Pendant of Khaeleth, Crown of Command.
Master (159) - Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon. Armour of Darkness, Dawnstone.
Sorceress (150) - Level 2 (Shadow). Tome of Furion.
Sorceress (165) - Level 2 (Death). Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon.
29 Spearmen (247) - Shields, Full Command, Banner of Murder.
16 Crossbowmen (191) - Shields, Standard Bearer, Musician.
16 Crossbowmen (191) - Shields, Standard Bearer, Musician.
6 Dark Riders (139) - Repeater Crossbows, Musician.
5 Harpies (55)
5 Harpies (55)
War Hydra (175)
War Hydra (175)

And, as it would be wrong to leave you without pictures, here's my colour scheme.


Dark Elf Spearman - Front photo DarkElfWarrior-Front.jpg
Dark Elf Spearman - Back photo DarkElfWarrior-Back.jpg
Dark Elf Spearman - Side photo DarkElfWarrior-Side.jpg

9 comments:

  1. yes, strike them down with your hatred and your path to the dark side will be complete. truth be told am in the same boat as you len. dont like the tourney scene too much anymore, you tend to rip other armies apart or get destroyed. and im with you on the characters, prefer making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm giving Fantasy another try, but it's a bit sad that the most important thing for competitive success with Fantasy and 40K is to buy the right models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know Lenny I'm going to NWG but not playing as you guessed it I don't like touney play, so maybe we should just go down & play things like INQ28 spacehulk saga & other fun stuff for 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another option alright Frank.

      Delete
  4. While you are right about tournament lists in general, I don't remember seeing those sorts of lists at NWG the last two years; last year especially I think myself and Alec were the only ones to bring your regular tournament standard lists. It's unfortunate that you'll be likely dropping out of the tournament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure whether I can play on the Sunday at all. I have to be back in Dublin on the Saturday night, it all depends if I can get back for Sunday or not. If I can, I'll play Fantasy, if I can't, it will be Warmachine.

      I did play a pretty nasty list last year, Imperial Guard backed up with a Furioso in a Lucius Drop Pod. Pretty horrible matchup, only way I could get anything at all was to kill Dante for the secondary objective.

      Delete
  5. Was that Dan's list? It was nothing compared what he normally brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Plasma/Melta spam Vets in Chimeras, 2 Manticores, 3 Vendettas, Stormraven, Furioso in Lucius Pod (technically illegal), Dante and Sanguinary Guard isn't a powerful army at all, particularly when most people have toned down their lists for a 'fun' tournament.

      Which goes back to my point - while NWG is meant to be a 'fun' tournament and something different, there is nothing to stop people showing up with a hard list, and if you show up with a 'fun' list and play against it, you'll just get blown away. If you bring a hard list and play against a 'fun' list, you'll just blow them away. Which do you do?

      Delete
    2. I must be recalling his list wrong so, I didn't know he had three Vendettas.

      Delete