Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Tales from NWG - Emerald Daemon 2013

Last weekend was the annual NWG tournament held in the Grand Hotel in Wicklow town. The event continues to go from strength to strength and expanded this year to include the first national painting competition, the Emerald Daemon award. There were trophies awarded in five categories - Single Model, Command Group (a squad or small group of models), Large Model, Diorama and Whiteshield (under 18).

I didn't manage to get names for all the entrants, pictures of all the models or even the names of all the winners, so photos of some of the entries below. I'll add a few comments from what I do know.

Our first category is the Best Single Model. Below are a couple of entries, although I'm not sure who painted them, or who won the award.
 photo DSCF0055.jpg
 photo DSCF0043.jpg

Next up is the Best Large Model entry. The first model was the category winner, Skorne Mammoth by Ciaran Bolger. The Eldar Crimson Hunter is by John O'Connor, you can see more of his amazing work here - http://witchbladeblog.blogspot.ie/. I'm not sure who painted the other two models.


 photo DSCF0056.jpg
 photo DSCF0062.jpg
 photo DSCF0042.jpg
 photo DSCF0041.jpg

Our next category is below, Command Group. I entered this myself with a squad of Ultramarines. The winner here was the middle unit, Fimir Malwyrm Riders (counts as Skullcrushers of Khorne, by Dave "Mr Saturday" Stafford. These were part of his Warhammer Fimir counts-as Warriors of Chaos army, which is stunning and can be seen on his blog - http://mrsaturdaysmumblings.blogspot.ie/. Again, apologies to the other entrants, not sure who you are.

 photo DSCF0065.jpg
 photo DSCF0063.jpg
 photo DSCF0040.jpg
I believe these were all entries in the Whiteshield category. The winner here was Ross Cleere. I believe the Forge World Abaddon was his.

 photo DSCF0044.jpg
 photo DSCF0045.jpg
 photo DSCF0048.jpg

The last category, Diorama, only had a single entry and I don't have a photo of it. It was a HORDES diorama, Legion vs. Trollbloods. It was fantastic, but you'll have to take my word for that.

There was plenty of entries I didn't get photos of too. I hope the guys were happy enough with the entries for the first year, and I'd enter again next year if it was run again, even if the standard of winners is far above what I can manage.



No comments:

Post a Comment