Monday, 21 April 2014

It's Still Imperial Guard To Me.

Screw you and your Astra Militarum copyright crap. Now that that rant is out of the way, I picked up the new Codex last week and I have to say I really like it. I know some people got a little upset that some of the more obscure vehicles have been dropped, but I don't own any of those. What I do have is a large collection of Vostroyan infantry and plenty of Leman Russ, Basilisk, Hellhounds and Chimeras. I was delighted to see I need to rejig almost nothing of my existing squads and most are playable as they are.



So I decided the best thing to do was to get them on the tabletop. My friend Karl was home from university in England this week so we met up to hang out and play some 40K. He brought his Orks at 1500 points. His list consisted of a Warboss & 19 'Ard Boyz in a Battlewagon, Big Mek & 19 Boyz in a Battlewagon, 10 Nobz in a Trukk and 10 Lootas.

I dropped the following.
Company Command Squad (135) - Captain w/Plasma Pistol, 4 Plasma Guns.
Chimera (65)

Commissar (25)

Platoon Command Squad (50) - 4 Flamers.
Infantry Squad (65) - Flamer, Heavy Bolter.
Infantry Squad (65) - Flamer, Heavy Bolter.
Infantry Squad (65) - Flamer, Heavy Bolter.
Heavy Weapon Squad (60) - 3 Mortars.
Heavy Weapon Squad (75) - 3 Heavy Bolters.
Heavy Weapon Squad (105) - 3 Lascannons.

Platoon Command Squad (50) - 4 Flamers.
Infantry Squad (85) - Plasma Gun, Lascannon.
Infantry Squad (85) - Plasma Gun, Lascannon.
Infantry Squad (85) - Plasma Gun, Lascannon.

Hellhound (125)

Leman Russ Battle Tank (150)

Leman Russ Demolisher (210) - Lascannon, Plasma Cannon sponsons.

We rolled up for Game 1 and got Purge the Alien with Dawn of War deployment.

 photo 11.jpg  photo 12.jpg  photo 13.jpg  photo 14.jpg  photo 15.jpg

This game turned out to be a bit of a turkey shoot for the Imperial Guard. Getting to go first allowed the Guard firepower to destroy the Trukk and immobilise a Battlewagon, causing the Orks to come on in waves and picked apart by the guns of the Guard. The only casualty on my side was a single Guardsman who suffered an overheating Plasma Gun. The Hellhound lost it's Heavy Bolter to a stray Battle Cannon round and the Demolisher lost a Hull Point to an overheating Plasma Cannon sponson. We decided to break for lunch before trying again.

Second time around, we added some extra terrain to block line of sight and rolled Crusade and Vanguard Strike.

 photo 21.jpg  photo 22.jpg  photo 23.jpg  photo 24.jpg  photo 25.jpg

This turned out to be a much better game. The Imperial Guard didn't have nearly as much time to open fire on the Orks and some good cover saves from the Kustom Force Field meant that the Orks managed to get their big mobs into assault with the Infantry Platoons, which had both combined into big units. The Orks destroyed the Infantry easily enough but the Imperial Guard were able to bring their counter attack to bear, the Platoon Command Squads with Flamers showing their value and immolating dozens of Orks. To add insult to injury, the Demolisher managed to kill a Platoon Command Squad with a scattering shell it had aimed at a Battlewagon. I then remembered I could Snap Fire the Lascannon which proceeded to blow up the Battlewagon.

Overall, I get the impression that this could be a very good overall Codex and you might see a lot of it. Might need to get painting.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. This codex is looking brilliant and I can't wait to get them back on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that this dex will let you do more or less what you like, be that strong or fluffy & while I've not used it yet I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got murdered that game... was fun to play you again but seriously fuck that shooting

    ReplyDelete